Monday, September 04, 2006

Journal Entry 20

Select up to 4 quotes and write responses each well thought out response will count as a journal entry.

He was spawned in that slime, Conceived by a pair of those monsters born Of Cain, murderous creatures banished By God, punished forever for the crime Of Abel's death. The Almighty drove Those demons out, and their exile was bitter, Shut away from men (26, lines 104-110)

No one strange to this land Has ever been granted what I've given you, No one in all the years of my rule. Make this best of all mead-halls yours, and then Keep it free of evil, fight With glory in your heart! Purge Herot And your ship will sail home with its treasure holds full. (43, lines 655-661)

Our eternal Lord Grants some men wisdom, some wealth, makes others Great. The world is God's, He allows A man to grow famous, and his family rich, Gives him land and towns to rule And delight in, lets his kingdom reach As far as the world runs—and who In human unwisdom, in the middle of such power, Remembers that it all will end, and too soon? (77, lines 1726-1734)


Push away pride! Your strength, your power, Are yours for how many years? SoonYou'll return them where they came from, sickness or a sword's edge Will end them, or a grasping fire, or the flight Of a spear, or surging waves, or a knife's Bite, or the terror of old age, or your eyes Darkening over. It will come, death Comes faster than you think, no one can flee it. (78, lines 1761-1768)


His armor was strong, but his arm Hung like his heart. Body and soul Might part, here; his blood might be spilled, His spirit torn from his flesh. (98, lines 2422-2425)


I've never known fear; as a youth I fought In endless battles. I am old, now, But I will fight again, seek fame still, If the dragon hiding in his tower daresTo face me. (101, lines 2511-2514)


When the brave Geats hear How you bolted and ran none of your race Will have anything left but their lives. And death Would be better for them all, and for you, than the kind Of life you can lead, branded with disgrace! (112, lines 2887-2891)


And do Beowulf's followers Rode, mourning their beloved leader, Crying that no better king had ever Lived, no prince so mild, no man So open to his people, so deserving of praise. (121, lines 3178-3182)

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Mick said...

Spencer- I agree it does sound like Grendel is from the depths of hell. His skin is hardened by sin- I wonder if this is an allegorical lesson about sin and behavior.

I'm not sure about money- I wish I knew an exact criteria to help every one have enough.

I too thought that Beowulf doomed himself, but I thought it was because of greed. He wanted to see the treasure.

I also liked the way the poets described the gold and silver as rotting- (we would probably call it tarnished.

September 07, 2006 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home